Here are today’s updates regarding the Covid-19 pandemic in the UK and around the world.
- The coronavirus death toll in the UK has increased by 449 in the last 24 hours, with a total of 16,509 dying after contracting the disease.
- The number of people who have tested positive for Covid-19 is now 124,743 out of 501,379 tests that have been conducted.
- The government’s furlough scheme received 67,000 applications in the first 30 minutes of launching today.
- Prince Philip praised the frontline workers tackling coronavirus across the UK in a rare public statement from the duke.
- The NHS is asking for Covid-19 survivors to donate blood plasma so they can potentially assess a new treatment for the disease.
- The government has announced a £1.25 billon package for start-ups that are not eligible for other rescue schemes.
- The NHS Nightingale hospital in London’s ExCeL centre has discharged its first coronavirus patients, with staff applauding them as they left.
- The government has accused a report in the Sunday Times, which criticised Boris Johnson’s leadership of the coronavirus crisis, of “falsehoods” and “errors.”