Here are today’s updates regarding the Covid-19 pandemic in the UK and around the world.
- There have been 30,615 deaths across all settings in the UK of people who tested positive for coronavirus. Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab announced the 539 daily increase as he gave the Downing Street press briefing.
- Boris Johnson was today chairing a cabinet meeting to review lockdown measures in the UK.
- Scotland’s First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has said the lockdown needs to continue across the country as the UK prepares to ease its own restrictions.
- An order of 400,000 surgical gowns from Turkey has not been distributed to NHS workers because they do not meet British safety standards.
- The Bank of England has warned that the UK economy could shrink by 14% this year, based on the lockdown being relaxed in June.
- Four major hospitals and hundreds of GP surgeries have been forced to stop testing people for coronavirus in London after a shortage of important chemicals needed for the test.
- Europe’s biggest street festival, Notting Hill Carnival, has been cancelled for the first time in its 54-year history.