Here are today’s updates regarding the Covid-19 pandemic in the UK and around the world.
- The death toll in the UK from patients who’ve tested positive for coronavirus now stands at 31,241, an increase of 626 since numbers were reported yesterday.
- The number of cases of the novel coronavirus in the UK is 211,364.
- Nine Chelsea Pensioners have died after contracting coronavirus, the Royal Hospital Chelsea has said.
- The lockdown is to be extended in Wales for three more weeks with rules around exercising and garden centres relaxed.
- An industry chief has warned that as many as 15,000 pubs could be forced to permanently close if they have to wait until September to emerge from lockdown.
- UN chief António Guterres has said the coronavirus pandemic has unleashed a tsunami of hate and xenophobia in the world.
- Police are searching for thieves who raided a warehouse in Salford and stole PPE worth £166,000. About 80,000 face masks intended for NHS staff were taken.
- The World Health Organization has warned that as many as 190,000 people in Africa could die in the first year of the Covid-19 outbreak if containment measures fail.
- Former chancellor Sajid Javid says Britain must turn its attention to the economy now it is through the peak of the coronavirus crisis.