Here are today’s updates regarding the Covid-19 pandemic in the UK and around the world.
- The UK coronavirus death toll now stands at 36,793, an increase of 118 in the last 24 hours.
- There are now 259,559 confirmed cases of coronavirus in the UK, a rise of 2,405 since yesterday.
- Boris Johnson has backed his key adviser Dominic Cummings, over allegations he breached lockdown rules, saying he acted “responsibly, legally and with integrity”.
- The prime minister said has said that the phased reopening of schools is set to go ahead as planned from 1 June.
- Around 25,000 contact tracers have been recruited ahead of this week’s launch of the government’s test and trace programme.
- An estimated 1.3 million people became infected with coronavirus during the nine days prior to the lockdown being announced on 23 March. The number was arrived at in a study by Imperial College London’s pandemic modellers and Oxford University’s department of statistics.
- New York state has recorded fewer than 100 coronavirus-related deaths in a single day for the first time in two months.
- The director of the Wuhan Institute of Virology has said claims that the virus could have leaked from the facility are “pure fabrication”.