Here are today’s updates regarding the Covid-19 pandemic in the UK and around the world.
- The UK coronavirus death toll now stands at 40,883, after 286 fatalities were reported in the last 24 hours.
- There have now been 289,140 confirmed cases of Covid-19 in the UK, a daily rise of 1,387.
- The government’s plan for all primary school children in England to go back to school before the end of term has been shelved. Gavin Williamson, the education secretary, says he is working to ensure all pupils in England return to school in September.
- According to figures by the Office for National Statistics, there were almost 10,000 more coronavirus deaths in England than previously reported by the end of May.
- ONS figures also show UK excess deaths linked to coronavirus have now reached around 64,000.
- There are more than 7m infections worldwide and over 400,000 deaths.
- A study by researchers from Harvard Medical School suggests coronavirus may have been present and spreading in Wuhan as early as August last year.
- A new voluntary coronavirus study has been launched which will assess the prevalence of Covid-19 in schools.
- Around 8.9m UK workers are now enrolled in the government’s Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme, the Treasury says.
- Health Minister Vaughan Gething has urged people in Wales to wear face coverings in scenarios where social distancing is not possible.