Here are today’s updates regarding the Covid-19 pandemic in the UK and around the world.
- The UK coronavirus death toll now stands at 41,662 , a rise of 181 fatalities in the last 24 hours.
- There have now been294,375 confirmed cases of Covid-19 in the UK, a daily rise of 1,425.
- People who live alone in England and Northern Ireland are allowed form a “support bubble” with another household from today.
- Brazil has overtaken the United Kingdom as the country with the second-highest coronavirus death toll, according to data from Johns Hopkins University.
- British Airways treatment of staff during the coronavirus pandemic has been branded a “disgrace” by MPs.
- A Transport Select Committee report has accused the national airline of a “calculated attempt to take advantage” of the crisis.
- The British Medical association has demanded answers from government over the lack of recommendations in a report on how BAME communities have been disproportionately affected by the virus.
- England’s chief nurse was dropped from daily press briefings because she refused to back Dominic Cummings, according to multiple newspaper reports.
- Transport Secretary Grant Shapps said he didn’t think that was true when asked if the was the case.
- Schools and councils in England have not been consulted over a summer catch-up plan due to be announced by Boris Johnson next week.
- A Beijing district has put itself on a “wartime” footing after a spike in coronavirus infections stemming from a food market. The city as a whole also banned tourism.